Palmer Rodak & Associates
Palmer Rodak & Associates
Certified Family Law Specialists State Bar of California Board of Legal SpecializationServing your Community for 19 Years
Parle Français • Habla Español • Farsi • ASL
View Our Practice Areas
In this Section

How can parents resolve disputes about education?

After you and your wife get divorced in California, you sometimes still need to make decisions about your child's education together. This issue can quickly become complicated if your child needs special education.

Making a decision about your child's education can be complicated if you and your ex-wife share joint legal custody. says that in this arrangement, both of you can view your child's progress reports and receive the dates of team meetings so you may both attend. Additionally, you are both able to voice your opinion about the educational plan laid out for your child.

It usually is best if you and your ex-spouse already have a plan laid out that you both agree on. There may be times, however, when you disagree about one or more aspects of your child's special education. In this situation, you may want to meet with people at your child's school to see if they can help you find an agreement. Sometimes, though, you may find that your disagreement is not over one aspect of your child's education but over a larger issue, such as whether you should seek help from outside your local school district. When this is the case, you may sometimes need to attend a court hearing. 

Your school district typically does not need both you and your ex-wife to sign a parental consent form. Because of this, you may sometimes be tempted to sign off on an education plan even when you know your ex-wife disapproves of some aspects. It is important to remember, though, that when you have a joint legal custody arrangement, both of you have an equal right to make a decision about your child's education. You may sometimes be able to prevent further disagreement if you and your ex-spouse work out an educational plan that pleases both of you.

This information is general in nature and should not be used in place of legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Experienced Attorneys You Can Trust

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Palmer Rodak & Associates
Certified Family Law Specialists State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization

Del Mar Office
445 Marine View Ave Ste 300
Del Mar, CA 92014

Phone: 858-356-4568
Del Mar Law Office Map

Oceanside Office
301 Mission Avenue Suite 205
Oceanside, CA 92054

Phone: 760-712-3889
Oceanside Law Office Map

Make a Payment