Palmer Rodak & Associates
Palmer Rodak & Associates
Certified Family Law Specialists State Bar of California Board of Legal SpecializationServing your Community for 19 Years
Parle Français • Habla Español • Farsi • ASL
View Our Practice Areas
In this Section

I think I'm paying too much in child support. What can I do?

You went through your divorce and ended up with a financial support order to supply funds for your children. This is something you were expecting as you had been the primary breadwinner and your children are now living with your ex the majority of the time. There is a problem, though, the child support amount you've been ordered to pay is really high, much higher than the standard. What can you do?

The state of California does allow support paying and support receiving parents to seek child support adjustments. There does have to be a valid reason for doing so, though. You can go about seeking an adjustment in one of two ways: go to court or engage in private negotiations.

Go to court

Filing a request to modify child support is a lot like filing the initial support request. You need to fill out a form, supply supporting documentation and submit it for court approval. In order for a judge to consider your request, a qualifying reason for the change must exist. A few examples of qualifying reasons include the following:

  • Loss of employment
  • Custody change
  • Income reduction or increase
  • Paying parent incarcerated
  • Change in child's needs

If looking for a child support reduction, you need to show that there has been some change of circumstances that occurred making the current support order a burden for you or unnecessary. After you file your modification request, a judge may require a hearing so that both parties can present their cases for or against the change.

Private negotiations and court approval

Not everyone has to go to court in order to achieve a support modification. It is possible to talk things out privately or with the assistance of legal counsel. If you and your ex can come to agreeable terms, any changes do still need to be submitted to court for approval.

Fair and affordable child support is possible

Child support calculations can be complicated. A number of reasons exist to substantiate why your initial order may be well above the standard amount. There are also various reasons why you may require a change.

Achieving a fair and affordable child support order is possible, whether you get it initially or obtain it through a modification request. Just know you are not alone in your fight for a fair order.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Experienced Attorneys You Can Trust

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Palmer Rodak & Associates
Certified Family Law Specialists State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization

Del Mar Office
445 Marine View Ave Ste 300
Del Mar, CA 92014

Phone: 858-356-4568
Del Mar Law Office Map

Oceanside Office
301 Mission Avenue Suite 205
Oceanside, CA 92054

Phone: 760-712-3889
Oceanside Law Office Map

Make a Payment