Palmer Rodak & Associates
Palmer Rodak & Associates
Certified Family Law Specialists State Bar of California Board of Legal SpecializationServing your Community for 19 Years
Parle Français • Habla Español • Farsi • ASL
View Our Practice Areas
In this Section

What should I do if I get a Summons and Complaint?

When it comes to legal battles in child support cases in California, following the rules as precisely as possible is necessary to avoid conflict and negative consequences. Sometimes, part of the difficulty in adhering to court standards is knowing exactly what those are. If you have received a Summons and Complaint, there are several things you should do in order to ensure you fully comply and complete any requirements.


According to the California Department of Child Support Services, it is important that you realize there is a strict time limit for handling this matter. Your answer form needs to be filed within 30 days in order to be considered valid.


If you do not complete this in the allotted time period, it will be more difficult to fight any incorrectly estimated payment amounts. While this can be taken care of simply with an answer form, failing to submit it within 30 days means you will need to take further steps and request the court’s approval to challenge this matter.


If you feel that there have been any mistakes made, do not simply ignore the Summons because you believe it is incorrect. You still need to submit an answer, but can detail your opinion therein. You can request a review of your payment records and detail the errors for the court. Both you and your ex-spouse are able to view all records of any payments made. This information is intended for your education and should not be taken as legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Experienced Attorneys You Can Trust

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Palmer Rodak & Associates
Certified Family Law Specialists State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization

Del Mar Office
445 Marine View Ave Ste 300
Del Mar, CA 92014

Phone: 858-356-4568
Del Mar Law Office Map

Oceanside Office
301 Mission Avenue Suite 205
Oceanside, CA 92054

Phone: 760-712-3889
Oceanside Law Office Map

Make a Payment