Palmer Rodak & Associates
Palmer Rodak & Associates
Certified Family Law Specialists State Bar of California Board of Legal SpecializationServing your Community for 19 Years
Parle Français • Habla Español • Farsi • ASL
View Our Practice Areas
In this Section

Can child support be modified?

Child support in California can be modified if there are changes in your financial situation or other changes related to your child. According to the California Department of Child Support Service, any changes in the income that was used to determine child support or changes to any other factors used in the determination can trigger your right for a modification. In addition, if visitation modifications have occurred, this may also enable you to amend your support payments.

Both parents have the right to request a modification. However, changes are usually only granted when there will be an increase or decrease in support of at least $50 or 20 percent, whichever is lower. Your local child support agency will determine if your case is eligible for a review and modification, but if you disagree, you can request your case go in front of the court for review.

In order to request a modification, you have to provide some information and a written request to your local child support agency. You will need to explain why you think a change should be made and supply documents backing up your reasons. For example, if you were laid off from your job and want to get the support lowered, then you would want to provide documentation from your employer that states you were laid off. In this case, if you are now getting unemployment, record of that would also need to be turned in. This is general information only and is not intended to provide legal advice

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Experienced Attorneys You Can Trust

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Palmer Rodak & Associates
Certified Family Law Specialists State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization

Del Mar Office
445 Marine View Ave Ste 300
Del Mar, CA 92014

Phone: 858-356-4568
Del Mar Law Office Map

Oceanside Office
301 Mission Avenue Suite 205
Oceanside, CA 92054

Phone: 760-712-3889
Oceanside Law Office Map

Make a Payment