Palmer Rodak & Associates
Palmer Rodak & Associates
Certified Family Law Specialists State Bar of California Board of Legal SpecializationServing your Community for 19 Years
Parle Français • Habla Español • Farsi • ASL
View Our Practice Areas
In this Section

How Do I File a Response to A Divorce?

In California, you have 30 days in which to file a Response to a Summons and Petition for Dissolution of Marriage (Divorce) from the first day after the day you were served.  The Petitioner is the party who initially filed the paperwork, and you are now the Respondent for all matters and actions pertaining to your case.

The Response may be served by mail or by personal delivery on the opposing party's attorney. If the opposing party is not represented by an attorney, then you will need to have your Response served by mail or by personal service by a third party person (someone not a party to your action that is 18 years or older).

Parties may also mutually agree to extend the time for a Response to be filed.

A Response may be rejected or considered incomplete by the Court if it does not include applicable information (boxes checked) and attachments.  For instance, if there are minor children of the marriage, you must be served with a Declaration Under UCCJEA (Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act) and you must also complete and serve this document on the opposing party. 

At Palmer Rodak & Associates, we provide compassionate and experienced legal representation. Our staff is more than qualified to assist you with all your legal needs, including preparation, serving and filing of your Response paperwork 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Experienced Attorneys You Can Trust

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Palmer Rodak & Associates
Certified Family Law Specialists State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization

Del Mar Office
445 Marine View Ave Ste 300
Del Mar, CA 92014

Phone: 858-356-4568
Del Mar Law Office Map

Oceanside Office
301 Mission Avenue Suite 205
Oceanside, CA 92054

Phone: 760-712-3889
Oceanside Law Office Map

Make a Payment