Palmer Rodak & Associates
Palmer Rodak & Associates
Certified Family Law Specialists State Bar of California Board of Legal SpecializationServing your Community for 19 Years
Parle Français • Habla Español • Farsi • ASL
View Our Practice Areas
In this Section

Child Custody and Support Archives

Child support in California

Many Americans might assume that all states hold identical child custody laws, but there is a surprising amount of legal difference from one state to another. California is one of many states that have adopted the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, a Uniform Act intended to discourage child kidnapping by non-custodial parents. The state also holds other regulations involving divorce and children, and many parents experience confusion due to legal complexities. 

Funding college after a divorce

It is typical for California parents to feel concerned about how they will fund their children's college educations. After a divorce, parents might be even more concerned about this as each parent individually might be struggling a bit more financially than they were prior to getting divorced. Understanding how to accommodate this reality with the desire to provide a higher education for one's children is important and ideally requires a bit of foresight.

What should I do if I get a Summons and Complaint?

When it comes to legal battles in child support cases in California, following the rules as precisely as possible is necessary to avoid conflict and negative consequences. Sometimes, part of the difficulty in adhering to court standards is knowing exactly what those are. If you have received a Summons and Complaint, there are several things you should do in order to ensure you fully comply and complete any requirements.

Using retirement funds to pay child support

Are you headed for or maybe even in the process of getting divorced in California? Do you have minor children for whom you believe you may be required to pay child support? If so, you will want to start planning now for how you will satisfy your child support obligations. Despite the best intentions parents may have of wanting to provide for their kids, making these payments can be difficult on a newly divorced person's budget.

How can I make shared custody work?

Divorce is rarely easy for Oceanside parents. This is particularly true when it comes to shared custody agreements, which can be challenging under even the best of circumstances. Fortunately, there are some great tips that will allow you and your ex-spouse to provide a kind and loving environment for your children no matter what.

Mediator or parenting time coordinator, which one do I use?

If your ex-spouse is not following the order regarding parenting time or custody, chances are that you want to get back into court to have a judge find him or her in contempt of court.  You may also want to modify your current order so that you have more time with the kids. Indeed, these may be genuine issues that you want resolved quickly, but getting in front of a judge may not be as quick as you hoped for.

How can I parent with my ex?

If you are getting divorced or maybe are already divorced in California and have children with your former spouse, you will very quickly learn that you can never be fully divorced from that person. Your children will require you to work with an ex-partner for their sake. How in the world can you do this effectively knowing that the person likely drove you crazy while you were married? 

Can child support be modified?

Child support in California can be modified if there are changes in your financial situation or other changes related to your child. According to the California Department of Child Support Service, any changes in the income that was used to determine child support or changes to any other factors used in the determination can trigger your right for a modification. In addition, if visitation modifications have occurred, this may also enable you to amend your support payments.

Court ruling results in unusual three parent custody agreement

One of the recurring themes that people hear throughout child custody cases in Oceanside is determining what is in the best interests of the children involved. While every state sets stipulations regarding custody matters, each also includes a child’s interests amongst the items considered when issuing a ruling. Some family courts may even go so far as to interview a child in chambers to try and determine what sort of arrangement he or she favors. That emphasis on representing a child’s best interests may even prompt custody decisions that many may consider to be odd.

How can I talk to my kids about divorce?

For Oceanside families, divorce is never an easy topic to broach. In fact, you most likely have quite a bit of trepidation regarding the issue, especially when it comes to talking with your children. While divorce almost always entails some degree of negative emotions, you can mitigate ill-effects by keeping the following advice in mind.

Email Us For A Response

Contact Experienced Attorneys You Can Trust

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Palmer Rodak & Associates
Certified Family Law Specialists State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization

Del Mar Office
445 Marine View Ave Ste 300
Del Mar, CA 92014

Phone: 858-356-4568
Del Mar Law Office Map

Oceanside Office
301 Mission Avenue Suite 205
Oceanside, CA 92054

Phone: 760-712-3889
Oceanside Law Office Map

Make a Payment